Monday, April 22, 2013

What's Up With Lauryn Hill? Tax Evasion...Eviction....Threats?

If you've been hearing rumors that Lauryn might be going to jail because of tax evasion then you've heard right. If fact she goes to court for her sentencing TODAY (mon april 22,2013)! They say (reports have it that) she owes the IRS 1.8 million dollars. During her hearing, the 37 year old singer pled guilty to three counts of tax fraud, stating that she intentionally failed to file taxes in 05,06 & 07. Huff Post reports that if she's found guilty today in court she faces up to a year in prison and up to $100.000 in fines FOR EACH COUNT! 

Now remember, she already pled guilty. But she did ask the judge to take into consideration her reason for not paying. What was her reason you ask? Well this is what she said on her tumblr account last year: 
"Over-commercialization and its resulting restrictions and limitations can be very damaging and distorting to the inherent nature of the individual. I did not deliberately abandon my fans, nor did I deliberately abandon any responsibilities, but I did however put my safety, health and freedom and the freedom, safety and health of my family first over all other material concerns! I also embraced my right to resist a system intentionally opposing my right to whole and integral survival."

She also stated in closing:
"My intention has always been to get this situation rectified. When I was working consistently without being affected by the interferences mentioned above, I filed and paid my taxes. This only stopped when it was necessary to withdraw from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well-being of myself and my family."
Lauryn also talked about how she has rejected pop culture's "climate of hostility, false entitlement, manipulation, racial prejudice, sexism and ageism." When Lauryn filed her court documents she simply stated that her reasons for failing to pay taxes was because she "withdrew from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well-being of myself and my family." She never said what kind of threats she'd been getting nor from whom. She asking for probation instead of jail time, stating that it would be much easier for her to pay her debt if she wasn't locked up behind bars.

On top of all this mess, TMZ reports that Lauryn's landlord has recently filed suit for her failure to pay rent and he is evicting her. She's been renting the South Orange, NJ mansion since 2009. If nothing else we will see how everything turns out today after she sees the judge about this tax evasion matter. Be on the look out for the update.
In the mean time, let's go back and remember when things were a little bit more simpler for Miss hill and her career.... Taking a line from one of her own songs, I say to Lauryn...."It could all be so simple, but you'd rather make it hard...."


Good luck Lauryn, I still have your back! Pay those bills though girl, save yourself all the drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment